Nov 17, 2011

The Hunger Games

Very curious. 
Seems like a combination between George Orwell's "1984" and Stephen King's "The Long Walk" ( both terrifyingly brutal books, so close to what reality has been not many years ago and what it could be in the long run, I highly recommend them)  + je ne sais quoi exactly. 
Here's what "The Hunger Games" is about: it describes a country called "Panem", which is situated in North America (the territory of the already EX-United States). Panem consists of a wealthy Capitol,but there are twelve more districts, which are very poor. These districts,that once rebelled against Capitol, are now forced to take part in a violent TV-reality called "The Hunger Games". Each district must select by lottery 2 participants (tributes), a boy and a girl between 12-18, and these participants have no other choice but to fight to the death in an outdoor arena controlled by Capitol until only 1 out of the 24 remains. 


P.S: I just read that Stephen King himself reviewed "The Hunger Games"! I am definitely checking it out anytime soon then ! ! ! Plus, I'm interested because I own a real bow (got one for my 12th birthday and have been training almost every summer since then) and from what I saw in the trailer, bows and spears are the main weapons used in the book/movie. =D  If you want to see King's review, click here

3 comments:

  1. I've read the first book and, actually, for me, it comes really close to a combination of Brave New World, The Handmaid's Tale, and Lord of the Flies, if you have read it. The plot line is kind of brutal, and it really goes way out of the box, but I don't think that it's THAT original. Sometimes it gets a little dull and repetitive, but I really want to see what they are doing with the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, ok. Can I please borrow it, I'm really curious, but I don't want to buy it yet, because - what if I don't like it? By the way, I have to give you "Sirena" and the other book back :P
    How are you my darling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surviving. :D I just sent my UCAS application, so I am pretty nerve-wrecked now. I can't give the book to you, unfortunately, I took it from the library. But I, personally, didn't like it. How are you doing lately? Skype tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete